2023 Los Angeles County Smart Thermostat Rebates and Credits
So, you’ve got a shiny new smart thermostat or are thinking about picking one up to help your HVAC system be more efficient. But the efficiency doesn’t start and stop with your thermostat’s performance.
Did you know there are rebate and incentive plans for smart thermostats in the Los Angeles area?
We’ve installed plenty of smart thermostats in homes around Los Angeles County, and we can tell you that plenty of people leave money on the table by not participating in their local rebate and incentive programs.
By the end of this article, you’ll be familiar with select rebates, bill credits, and qualifying models that will help you make the most of your thermostat. Let’s jump in with how to apply for a smart thermostat rebate.
Models that Qualify Rebates and Credits
Rebates and bill credits are available from Southern California Edison, the largest energy supplier in Southern California, and the Los Angeles Department of Water and Power.
A wide range of smart and Wi-Fi-enabled thermostats qualify for rebates and bill credits. LADWP and SCE have different lists of qualifying products, so take a look at which rebate or bill credit is right for you and work from there.
For a comprehensive list of eligible smart thermostats, visit Southern California Edison's marketplace. Be sure that "With Rebate" is checked on the left-hand side.
If you'd like to go through the Los Angeles Department of Water and Power, you'll need to visit the LADWP marketplace. Again, be sure that "With Rebate" is checked on the left-hand side.
How to Apply for Los Angeles County Smart Thermostat Rebates
For a straightforward rebate, you can go through the Los Angeles Department of Water and Power (LADWP). Don’t let the pared-down website fool you; this rebate process is a cinch if you follow the steps below.
To apply for an LDAWP smart thermostat rebate, you'll need to:
Receive your smart thermostat by December 31, 2023
- LADWP offers users the opportunity to purchase a qualified model through its website for an instant rebate.
- You may earn a $75 rebate per smart thermostat, $50 per Wi-Fi-enabled thermostat, or up to $120 on select models if purchased through the LADWP Marketplace.
Install your thermostat to a smart thermostat.
- While you can install a smart thermostat yourself, issues can arise. Be sure to reach out to an HVAC technician if this is the case to avoid damage or injury.
Apply for an LDAWP rebate.
- To apply for an LADWP rebate, be sure to fill out the rebate form located on the LADWP and mail it in.
- You can enroll up to two new smart thermostats.
Southern California Edison (SCE) also offers a rebate to homeowners who recycle their old thermostats responsibly at an approved collection site.
To earn your rebate, all you have to do is:
Locate an approved collection site via Thermostat Recycling Corporation’s website.
- If you’re using SCE’s website, you will be redirected to the Thermostat Recycling Corporation site.
Download and fill out the attached form.
- The form is downloadable as a PDF.
Place your completed form in a plastic bag, along with your old thermostat.
- There are no specifics listed when it comes to bag size.
Drop off your form and thermostat at your chosen approved collection site.
- Your rebate check will be mailed to the address provided on the form.
Recycling older mercury thermostats is vital to protecting the environment and food chain. There is a $70,000 fine for an improperly disposed mercury thermostat, so why not help out the environment and earn some cash in the process?
How to Apply for Smart Thermostat Bill Credits
While rebates are a great way to get a lump sum return on your smart thermostat investment, Southern California Edison offers its customers a prolonged line of savings on their monthly bills as well as a one-time credit.
Follow these steps to file for a Southern California Edison bill credit.
Enroll your smart thermostat in the Smart Energy Program for a one-time $75 bill credit.
- Southern California Edison’s Smart Energy Program gives the company access to your smart thermostat.
- The Smart Energy Program allows SCE to make “brief, limited adjustments to your thermostat.”
- SCE qualifies “brief, limited adjustments” as only impacting your home temperature by “a few degrees.”
Stay enrolled in the program to receive up to $10 a month from June 1 to September 30.
- The maximum bill credit is $40 per year.
In total, enrolling in the Smart Energy Program could net you $115 off your energy bills this year and $40 every year after. The main decision to weigh is whether you’ll allow SCE to have control over your thermostat when the time comes.
Will Your Smart Thermostat be Saving You Money?
We’ve covered how to apply for rebates and tax credits, as well as special qualifications in Los Angeles. By now, you’re familiar with the ins and outs of rebates and tax credits, so you’ll be able to apply confidently and get an additional return on your smart thermostat investment.
Replacing your thermostat can be deceptively simple. While it seems like just connecting a few wires, there are issues that can arise that may require a professional touch. If you’re in the Los Angeles area and need a hand in upgrading to a smart thermostat, give us a call at (310) 853- 8690 or visit our HVAC Services page to connect with a technician.
If you’re just dipping your toes into the world of smart thermostats, check out our list of 2023’s best smart thermostats to get a better idea of what are the best available models. Many are also on the list of smart thermostats that qualify for rebates and credits.